PROTECT LAKE ERIE
On Wednesday, September 2nd
US Department of Energy Secretary
NYS Energy Research and Development Authority
866-NYSERDA x 3320 or 866-697-3732 x 3320
- To DECIDE NOW to FULLY CLEAN UP the West Valley Nuclear Waste Site
- FULLY REMOVE the WASTE so it cannot spread into the water in the Great Lakes
The Department of Energy is proposing to clean up only 1% of the radioactive waste, delaying cleanup of the remaining 99% of radioactivity for up to 30 years.
Heavy rain and flooding caused a landslide bringing a nearby Creek closer to the radioactive waste trenches in just one day! Recent Severe Flooding highlights the need for a FULL CLEANUP at West Valley.
An earlier blog post, "Nuclear Waste: Not in MY Drinking Water!", contains multiple News links in support of a full cleanup.
Additional information is here.
The Phone-a-thon is sponsored by the Center for Health, Environment & Justice, Catholic Charities, Citizens' Environmental Coalition, Great Lakes Sports Fishing Council, Nuclear Information & Resource Service, Sierra Club Niagara Group and others. For more information, contact Diane D'Arrigo, NIRS, at firstname.lastname@example.org