Keynote speakers, including the new director of the EPA, talked about the environment, renewable energy, green jobs and political activism. Some members of Congressional committees on energy and environment also spoke. At the end of each night, there was music and entertainment. Names of some speakers and entertainers are here.
Below is a video that gives a brief overview of PowerShift 2009:
Buffalo native, Jason Kowalski, Policy Fellow with 1Sky in DC, led a training session of 1400 students at PowerShift on lobbying Congress about legislation on climate change, clean energy and green jobs. See video, below:
Video courtesy of Brighter Planet
A photo of some of the UB students taken during a lobbying session in the office of Congress member Louise Slaughter is shown below.
UB Environmental Network !
The PowerShift Rally at the Capitol West Lawn on Lobby Day is shown in the photo below.
PowerShift Lobby Day is here, including the list of over 350 Congressional meetings coordinated by the Energy Action Coalition.
UPDATES on PowerShift 2009
- TIME Magazine article: Environmentalism, Millennial-Style
- Keynote address at Power Shift by Billy Parish [video]
- What the Press Didn't Tell You, by Jesse Jenkins
- Shifting Demographics of the Climate Movement, Ben Jervey
- Global Warming 101 for Congress?, by Rachel Barge
- Rolling Stone: Jessy Tolkan, Agent of Change